Tuesday, March 11, 2014

AS - Evaluation Q.7

Q.Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to your full product?




Colours:
When planning for my preliminary task, I decided to go with a Fall/Autumn theme which is why I went with the colour orange. However, after I had designed it and got it printed I realized that it looked rather dull and it wouldn't really grab someone's attention if it is available on a magazine stand at some shop.
Which is why I then went with the colour scheme black, white and red for my main task. Since now I know that such a colour combination looks rather eye catching and professional.
I also didn't think about using colour psychology when deciding the colour scheme for my preliminary task however after that I realized that colours do mean a lot. Orange means distrust and that isn't a very good decision for using in any product which is on the market. Whereas, Black means power and elegance. White means purity and friendship and red means power, passion, love etc.

Mast Head/Heading:
The masthead of my preliminary task 'BSS' is not eye catching and visible, I later rectified my mistake in my final media product by using a grey font on a plain black background which I believe is pretty evident.
Same is the issue with my heading 'CONTENTS', in my preliminary task it is a few shades darker than my background whereas in my final media product it is a red heading on a black background.
I learnt that the Mast Head/Heading had to be eye catching and it had to stand out.

Font Style:
Firstly, the font I used for my heading 'CONTENTS' in my preliminary task is sheerly unprofessional. At first I thought I was adding a personalized touch to it by using an Autumn themed font in an Autumn Issue. However after it got printed, it looked more like a ladies clothing catalogue and less like a college magazine. This is why I decided to go with the same font style for my heading, as my masthead on my final media product.

Main Feature Headline:
My preliminary task has no main feature headline at that time I thought I was challenging conventional magazines by giving equal importance to all of my headlines. However, Later on I realised that there needed to be a link between the main image and the main feature headline for the magazine to give it a more professional look.

Placement of Contents:
The way I have written my contents in my preliminary task with the page numbers all over the place, it looks like a rather confused job. Which is why I decided to go with a much more sleek and organised look in my final task by drawing a line and writing the contents on one side and the numbers on the other.

Main Image:
My main preliminary image is still over exposed in the sense that the pages of the book she is reading aren't visible. Also in print, her face seems to look saturated. This is why I took extra care in post processing my main task's main image by taking prints after I had edited it to see the final outcome before moving ahead with my magazine.
Also, she is looking away which I feel gives a feeling of abandonment this is why I made my male model look into the camera when I took his images for the cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment